The Valley Forge Volunteer Fire Company is an all volunteer organization since its creation in 1949. The fire company is a non-profit organization that provides fire and rescue services in all of Schuylkill Township in Chester County. Additionally, the fire company provides mutual aid support to all our surrounding municipalities in Chester and Montgomery Counties.The fire company's main station is located on Valley Park Road, just outside of the Valley Forge National Park. The company also houses a number fire apparatus at the sub-station located along Pothouse Road.
Early in 1949, after several fires in the Valley Forge area that were a total loss or nearly a total loss, a group of men from the village decided that Valley Forge was in great need of a fire company. This group of eleven men consisted of Paul Hicks*, John F. Davis*, Albert Ritschards*, James T. Setzler*, Carroll Swearer*, E. Arthur Rowan*, John Kenneth Long*, Richard Leeson*, Gilbert Swearer*, Joseph Ravis* and Paul Weber*. Meetings were held at the home of Mr. Hicks, Mr. Coughey's hall, the old school house, and anywhere the group could get together.
At one of the first meetings, Richard Leeson was appointed Chairman of the committee to write the Fire Company's Constitution and By-Laws. Others serving on this committee were Gilbert Swearer, Joseph Ravis, and John Kenneth Long. They met in the basement of Richard Leeson's home. It was also decided that John F. Davis and two other men would be appointed to find a piece of land on which to build the first Fire Hall.